Thursday, February 6, 2014

radical self-expression and self-reliance

Okay so I have one of my most massive bucket list items planned for this year. On the 20th of February I will be purchasing my ticket to the Burning Man Festival. If you're not familiar with burning man you can click the link to visit their site, but here is a quick synopsis.
source
Burning Man is an annual event and a thriving year-round culture. The event takes place the
week leading up to and including Labor Day, in Nevada's Black Rock Desert. The Burning Man organization (Black Rock City LLC) creates the infrastructure of Black Rock City, wherein attendees (or "participants") dedicate themselves to the spirit of community, art, self-expression, and self-reliance. They depart one week later, leaving no trace. As simple as this may seem, trying to explain what Burning Man is to someone who has never been to the event is a bit like trying to explain what a particular color looks like to someone who is blind.

So I guess heed this is a warning, this whole festival, and prep and planning and packing will be a big part of my life for the next six months. Which means you all get to hear about it. It is part of what is driving my urge to get organized and find new ways to STAY organized. 


Step 1- Paper and Pen - I am one of those archaic types that feels the need to write things down, it helps me remember and feel more productive. I just cant seep to keep focused using my phone's calendar especially since it seems to be all muddled up with Facebook events. So I opt for a non-virtual hardback planner. This is my third year with this brand & format. This design is apparently unavailable on line but the have several others. Isn't she pretty!

Step 2 - Gift culture and contributions.  There is a gifting culture of Burning Man, most vets will tell you the best thing you can do is a smile and contact, but most people hand out trinkets or small necessities while wandering the playa. Everything I've heard says First timers (like yours truly) really don't need to bring anything, but that's not really my style. I'm planning on carrying a bag with essentials to start (lip balm, sunscreen, dusk masks). Now I want to find small hand made gifts to share. Maybe something to help deplete my yarn collection. I made fingerless gloves for my man last year and might make a few different sets to pass out.

Step 3 - List the lists of lists - I have lists. EVERYWHERE. Amazon Wish lists, Pinterest boards, packing lists printed and taped to by camping Tupperware Tubs. I think the next step is to actually make a list of my lists. Sounds a little neurotic but when you live in the desert for a week with nothing but what you bring and or are given you'll really want to be prepared.

Do I have any Burners among my readers?
What would you like to receive as a random gift?
Is there anything you're checking off your bucket list this year?

4 comments:

  1. how fun that you are going to Burning Man! i've heard it's epic but have never been myself! one time someone gave me inspirational/motivation/love quotes that were written on pretty paper and it was about the size of a business card. i still carry it with me so that might be a fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh that could be fun. There's a lot of rules around their "leave no trace" policy so I don't know that cards would work, but printed on thin fabric strips that I could tie onto others. I'll have to look into that. Thanks for coming by!

      Delete
  2. i know a few people that go every year and they LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I hear from everyone. I just have to see it for myself. Thanks for coming by

      Delete