Wednesday, November 27, 2013

The future in-laws and the Thanksgiving mess

Happy Holidays! Now, is it January yet? 



Let me preface this by saying I adore by boyfriend's family. Its the first family I've really felt comfortable around. However we've not been together that long and its really his family. I love them, but when we're there, its all about him. Just how I like it. I'm not a fan of being of the center of attention, anywhere, let alone somewhere I feel I don't need to be.

Last Thanksgiving we did with his family was easy, he took me around and introduced me, then I grabbed a glass of wine and watched Peyton play. While he was the chatty entertaining one they focused on, just the way I like it. At the end of the day he's quite a few things, my security blanket, my favorite distraction and my designated driver. So why the boyfriend/future in-law/family based ramble?

His parents asked us to Thanksgiving in late July, yes 4 months ago. We thought that would be great, agreed to go and had planned ever since. Until Sunday, on Sunday he found out he has to work on Thursday from 3-6. Guess when dinner is? yep 3pm. So here is my dilemma, his family still extended an invitation. And they're not "oh we feel like we should still invite you" they're more the "no really you should be here because you said you were coming" types.

To be completely honest, I'd be more comfortable with my parents, who are also hosting, and could probably use an extra hand. I would get more time with my cousin and her new baby. I would be able to sip wine all afternoon and not worry about leaving. I'd just be more comfortable. But how do I tell them that? I don't want to be rude, and I'm sure I could be just fine...

Is the holiday more about putting your own feelings aside for the comfort of your family or in-laws as a whole? Or do I stop by the in-law's, drop a bottle of wine, and go play with the new baby?
What do you all think?

And you thought cooking was messy! Ha

3 comments:

  1. Yikes, extra awkward! I would much rather be with my family too. Maybe you could say that your parents were initially sad you couldn't be with them for Thanksgiving, so now that your boyfriend can't go to his parents, your parents begged you to help out with theirs. I'm usually a YES girl and feeling horrible about saying NO to people. But the older I get, the more I realize I need to respect my boundaries and follow my heart. Do what you'll feel more comfortable doing. Hopefully your boyfriend's parents will understand.

    Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog today! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. first of all! thanks for the comment on my blog! secondly…i know this is too little too late, and i don't know what you decided to do…but i would go to your family's thanksgiving. 100%. then maybe you could even pop over there towards the end of the night for some pie? maybe bring them a nice bottle of wine? best of both worlds…right? :) happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would've probably been the best thing to do, I ended up at my folks and the boyfriend stopped by after his shift. We actually haven't seen his parents since, but have plans this weekend. However, now I'm not feeling well... uh oh. Thanks for chiming in!

      Delete