Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Pretty Girls and their Tattoos

"Tattoos aren't meant for everybody and they're too goddamn good for some people." -Lyle Tuttle

My mother was tattooed by Lyle Tuttle, many many years ago in San Francisco. She was in college and it was Lyle Tuttle swoon. Now this college based decision, was something she didn't think much about, and never thought about what it would mean for her children years later. I guess she never could have predicted the jump in popularity or how our generation would view tattoos as a perfectly acceptable form of bold self expression. Now I have two and 3 more planned, much to Daddy's dismay.


Donovan at work
I believe this is a very valid art form today. Not all tattooed women look like Kat Von D. Though I do think she's beautiful. For instance, my tattoo artist, Donavan Kinyon, does much more than just tattoos. Like canvas painting, car body painting, and has a collection of pieces on spray cans. He even used to design shoes for Teva. I'm starting to feel like tattoo artist are not given due respect in the art world.

I think this post sprouted from the disapproval of a friend/coworker when I mentioned I was planning my next one. I think Tattoos have a negative reputation that they really don't deserve. For me they're like any other art form, just a permanent one.

I believe you should NEVER pick your tattoo out of the book at the shop, or off an online gallery. I do believe that you should pick something you love, that matters to you. I do believe that being able to carry around a piece that mean supports your beliefs, honor a memory, or remind you of your strengths. My first piece is combination of things the mean the world to me. My birth flower, my daughters birth flower and pearls(to honor my late grandmother).

Do you have an opinion about this form of art? Good, Bad or Otherwise? Do you have tattoos? Or want some? What would you say to your child, spouse or best friend if they wanted one? 

What about tattoo artists as artists?

No comments:

Post a Comment